Thursday, April 12, 2007

The hard way

I have recently encountered some problems being a newcomer in the USA. For the people who were born here in the USA, the visa allowance is a totally unknown issue or just a formality. As many others, Romanians are required to get a visa in order to come to the United States. No problem till here. However, I have a very interesting story for you. Last year I made one of the biggest steps in my life, I got married. Everything was arranged the way my future wife and I wanted and that was the reason why this moment was the greatest of my life. It was the first moment I felt that we could both come to the USA to finally start building our life, our future, thing that was almost impossible before the wedding because of this visa allowance. After some time, we went to the American Embassy in Bucharest to receive the visa, but……big problem. We received instead a very short answer: “she cannot leave now with you because you are only an American resident, not an American citizen. She needs to wait for her visa number to be issued and this can take even three, four years from now” and she completed the phrase by adding “sorry, this is the bureaucracy that even ourselves have to face with”. From that exciting moment that I had only one month before our "visit" to the Embassy I shortly stepped to that feeling of desperation thinking that, I have no choice but to be away from my wife for three, four years. Now, after almost one year, I feel the same, the same pain in my soul but at the same time I still have the hope that everything will be ok. I go back to Romania each summer and winter, the time I spend there sometimes is even four five months, this being a great opportunity for me to taste an almost complete life. However, this is not a way of living for such a young couple like we are. Put yourselves in my shoes. How would you feel? And, why does all this have to happen? Because of bureaucracy?
I work hard, I pay taxes, and I go to school…..The same thing everybody is doing. Still there is a difference…for me at this moment it seems there is only the hard way.

1 comment:

Julie P.Q. said...

This is indeed unfair. How much longer have you been told you'll have to wait for all the paperwork to go through?

And how easy/hard is it for you to go back and forth so often, often spending months in Europe? Do you find it hard to get adjusted each time you leave one place for another?